Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tamworth Opening - Part 1

Brook Morgan 
Cecilia Heffer

Belinda von Mengersen

Demelza Sherwood

Detail of Demelza's work

Install shot

Almas Gemelas/Twin Souls

My twins

Great crowd for the series of artist talks

Martha McDonald


The official opening of the Tamworth Textile Triennial was last Friday 30 September. A group of us in the show drove for 6 hours from Sydney to be present for the opening and series of artist's talks over the weekend. It was a wonderful experience to meet other exhibiting artists and engage with a wonderfully supportive local and visiting crowd.  The show looked amazing and it was immensely valuable to hear other artist's speak about their work and discover the subtle interconnections between all the work.  The triennial has been curated by Patrick Snelling a practising artist and educator at RMIT.  


It was a very inspiring weekend but it wasn't just the exhibition that struck a chord. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the Australian landscape driving through various country towns - it felt both familiar and very foreign. It reminded me that within the confines of my bubble in metro Sydney, my experience of place is very narrow. I took lots of photos on the trip and collected bits and pieces as souvenirs.  I'm still trying to digest it all *sigh*. I will also add that Bendemeer pub, 45 mins drive from Tamworth has an awesome old school jukebox right next to the pool table.


Part 2 of this post will include more pics and some notes I took during the talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment